03 July, 2010

Boil the water...

Hola everyone!

Wow, you think with all the time I have I would be posting more. Well, that's what I thought at least. In Mitla I was a blogging machine--but then, I had ab-so-lute-ly nothing to do with my evenings back then. No articles to write, no books to read. Ah, it certainly feels like the days of innocence sometimes. Back then, my only cares were making it up the hill in the morning, and hoping to run into that one dude I was seeing for a bit back then. Oh well. I'm still having a ton of fun now.

Anyway, as I promised in my last post, here are pictures from our adventures in Hierve el Agua. Carolina (one of my roommates in the house on Cerro Fortín) and I met with Hilary at her hostel. Poor girl wasn't feeling too hot but put on a brave face and came out with us anyway. We walked to the Estación de Autobuses Segunda Clase (2nd Class Bus Station) and hopped on the bus to Mitla.

When we got to Mitla and off the bus, we were approached by this young woman and a guy who turned out to be close to my and Carolina's age (we're both 27). Turns out the driver was going to charge them a lot of money unless they could get more people. Of course we agreed to share a camioneta with them. However, the driver still wanted to charge a lot of money, but thankfully these 3 Oaxacan kids showed up and off we went, with the 8(!) of us squeezing into the back.


Now, I've posted on Hierve el Agua before so I won't be posting a ton of pictures from the hike (but here's one anyway!)


However, the biggest difference between this time and last was while Megh and I swam under a strong sun, Adam, Sophie, Hilary, Carolina and I were hit by rain. In fact, fearing rain and a slippery trail I jetted up the trail, blizting ahead of the others. Needless to say everyone got soaked.

While it was raining, we decided to have lunch and wait it out. When the sky began to clear I packed up my tlayuda even though I wasn't done it and we jetted down to the pools, changing into our clothes in record time. Getting into the pools was so nice...the water was a bit chilly, and it certainly would have been better with sun, but nevertheless we still had a great time and took a ton of fun photos.


One of my favorites is this rather National Geographic-looking shot.  


Anyway, it was a great time and we had a lot of fun with Sophie and Adam, even though we had just met them. In fact, later that night they came over for dinner, and the next night we went to their hostel where they cooked us a lovely meal. They're both gone now, off to parts unknown, but I will always have these pictures, the memories, and their friendship on facebook.


I love Hierve el Agua! Tomorrow, El Arbol de Tule!

Cheers.

No comments: